Thursday, June 15, 2006

World Cup

The first round of World Cup games is over. How do my predictions look?

Well, I predicted Italy would bomb out at the group stage but after their fairly convincing victory over Ghana and the US' meek defeat at the hands of the Czech Republic, I must say that this prediction is looking very shaky indeed. I was expecting the US to get a draw against the Italians but based on their first performance this will be a tall order indeed.

I'm backing England to win, no doubt just misguided optimism, and their first game did not change my mind on this. They certainly did not play like world beaters but got the result and now look very likely to finish top of the group. If they do they will meet either Costa Rica or Ecuador in the 2nd round which is a very inviting fixture indeed. I think England won't have to really step up to the plate until the QF which I predict will be against Portugal, Holland or Argentina. Out of all of those I would prefer Argentina. If we finish top we can't play Brazil until the final.

My overachievers are Australia and they just about kept that prediction alive by scoring 3 goals in the last 8 minutes against Japan. The match against Croatia is obviously going to be the decider and Australia will need the game of their lives to qualify but with Guus in charge I think they must just squeak it.

1 comment:

Shaun said...

The world rankings are a load of bollocks to be honest. They are based on competitive matches played but the likes of the US play teams in the CONCAF region the most (like Trinidad, Bermuda etc) and so they win more and get more points as a result. England play European teams and so this is much tougher. The US are utterly lame and are only 5th in the world because they are the best of a bad bunch in their region.