Friday, May 19, 2006

Terrorist Trial

Faheem Khalid Lodhi's case in the trial currently being played out in a Sydney court is not exactly watertight is it?

Lodhi is accused of planning to bomb various sites around Sydney including Electricity substations and defence sites.

The defence asked why he had notes of how to make bombs lying around his house. According to his solicitor, Mr Boulten, he is just the inquisitive type:

"He was curious when he saw the information, perhaps foolishly he was interested," Mr Boulten said. "He, for no particular purpose, was attracted to it and wrote the details down. He had never subsequently paid attention to these notes."

Yeah, I must say it's a common thing for me too. In the midst of my Google searches for Paris Hilton and Britney I often stumble across sites like www.blowuptheinfadels.com where I accidentally come across instructions on how to make up bombs. And you know what I did upon hitting these sites? Well, the only logical thing that came to mind was to write the instructions and recipes down - why? Well, I'm just that kinda guy, I like things to be recorded and written down. Call it OCD if you will. No other reason, I promise.

When asked why he had a mobile phone account in a false name, Mr Lodhi stated that there was nothing untoward in this and doing such a thing was merely a 'bad habit' of Pakistani people. Eh?Picking your nose is a bad habit, biting your nails is a bad habit, smoking is a bad habit. But deliberately setting up a mobile phone account in a false name? That's a bad habit? I can just imagine it: 'Sorry Mr Vodafone, but everytime I fill in a contract I just can't help putting down a false name - I've tried everything - patches, hypnotism, I've even read "Allen Carr's Easyway to stop lying on Mobile Phone Contracts". But I just can't help it!'

And today comes the news that he lied about his name on various communications and of course it was just a mistake. Come on prosecutors - give the guy a break - everyone forgets their own name from time to time. I've lost count the amount of times I've called myself Dave or Simon or Martin. It's so easily done. Haven't you done it before? You haven't? Seriously? Shit.

I think the defence argument in this case is as strong as that expressed by men who go to Casualty with a broom sticks stuck up their arses. 'What happened?' asks the Nurse, "Well', replies the man', I was walking around naked and blow me but I fell over and landed straight on this lubricated broom stick. What a bloody terrible coincidence!'

No comments: