Thursday, July 06, 2006

More World Cup Post Mortem

Simon Hattenstone writes an excellent piece about the World Cup in today's Guardian blog.

He writes that he knows he should be getting over it but he can't. I feel much the same way, Simon. I'm still thinking about it about every 45 minutes which is an improvement on Sunday (every minute) and yesterday (every 30 minutes). Soon it'll be down to hourly and then daily before tapering off when it will be mainly forgotten until Euro 2008.

He also writes about some of the tabloid headlines regarding Sven's departure:

They [British Tabloids] might be bilious, intrusive, venal gratuitous soul-suckers, but they sure as hell know how to reflect the national mood. My favourite headline of recent days: Goodbye tosser: end of an error - Sven's reign of shame. You're probably looking for the clever pun on "tosser", but I think you'll find it isn't there - this is pure abuse. My theory is that the Sun ultimately settled on "Goodbye tosser" because "Fuck off wanker" - if you'll pardon my French - didn't fit. The Mirror opted for the more subdued He banked, he bonked, he ballsed it up. It took me back to the glory days: It's Swedes 2 - turnips 1 (News of the World, 1998).

Great stuff!

No comments: